Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts

FAQ: Travelling without a visa (Korean nationals) and right of residence



Your passport has to be valid for at least three months after the intended date of departure from Germany.

Please note: There is no legal entitlement to enter the Schengen area. The responsible border control authorities of the Schengen states check compliance with all requirements of the Schengen Borders Code and decide whether to grant or deny entry.


  • as long as you plan to leave the country before the expiry of the 90-day period and can prove that you have sufficient financial resources for the return trip.
  • if you are planning a long-term stay and apply to the responsible authority for a residence permit within the 90 visa-free days.

The documents required depend on the purpose of the respective stay.
In general, the following documents are required:

  • Valid passport
  • Birth certificate of the child
  • Declaration of consent
  • Passport copies of the parents
  • School certificate, that aloows to travel outside the School holidays
  • Proof of sufficient means of subsistence
  • For school visit in Germany longer than 90 days a power of attorney to exercise the child's custody for a certain time periode might be required (both parents have to come to the Embassy in Person for this)

In individual cases you may be required to provide additional documents.

Yes, a stay for another 90 days in Germany is possible (§ 16 AufenthV, Annex A, Agreement with Korea, BGBl. 1974 II S. 682; BGBl. 1998 II S. 1390).

Yes, you may enter other Schengen states after the expiry of your German residence permit.
You can only stay for a maximum number of 90 days within a 180-day period in the Schengen area.

In the case of a short-term stay, with a subsequent stay in Germany in accordance with national law (e.g. as a student), you are required to first leave the Schengen area and then re-enter, so that the required entry conditions according to Art. 6 (1) of the Schengen Borders Code can be fulfilled.

Yes, this is possible. You are allowed to stay for up to 90 days in the Schengen area prior to the start date of your national visa.

Yes, in the case of a short-term stay which follows a stay in Germany in accordance with national law (e.g. as a student), you are, however, required to first leave the Schengen area and then re-enter. Nationals from states that require a visa moreover need to hold a valid visa.

Nationals of the following states can change the visa / residence permit in Germany: Republic of Korea, Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand and the United States. All other nationals are required to leave the Schengen area and re-enter with a valid visa which complies with the visa / residence permit type.

No, this is not possible.

First, you should deregister with the responsible German authority. Submission to the Embassy is usually not required.
In general, prior residence permits may not be used for tourist or other travel purposes.

맨 위로