Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts

FAQ: Financing the stay/secured means of subsistence



  • blocked account
  • declaration of commitment / formal obligation
  • account statements (own) from the last 6 months

„If you want to study in Germany (study, study application, language course), you must verify that your study and living expenses for the duration of your stay in Germany are covered. You can prove this by setting up a blocked account in Germany. A minimum amount must be paid into the blocked account. The decisive factor is the amount which the BMI (Federal Ministry of the Interior) publishes in the context of the announcement pursuant to section 2 (3) sentence 6 AufenthG (Residence Act). At the moment this amounts to 934 euros per month of the intended stay. For stays of less than one year, the total amount will be reduced accordingly.

From 1 January 2023, the presumed annual requirement that must be paid into the blocked account when applying for a visa amounts to 11,208 euros. The amount of 934 euros will be applicable to visa applications starting from 1 October 2022.“

Nationals of the Republic of Korea, Japan, Australia, Canada, Israel, New Zealand and the US should open the account immediately after arriving in Germany, if travelling without a visa.
Nationals who are subject to a visa requirement for entering Germany in any case (irrespective of the purpose and the length of their stay) must open the blocked account before entering Germany. You will find a list of providers on the website of the Federal Foreign Office.

Please note: The German Embassy is not responsible for the completeness of the documents you submit. The Embassy is not liable for the loss, damage or late arrival of documents in Germany.

It is expressly pointed out that, in a blocked account, a private law contract comes about between the account holder and the respective bank. The customer should therefore clarify any problems with the opening or closure of the account, etc. directly with the bank. The involvement of the mission abroad is not envisaged in this case.

With the declaration, the undersigned agrees to be responsible for any costs arising for the person who travels to Germany, especially for

  • accommodation
  • daily necessities
  • care in the event of illness and long-term care
  • possible repatriation to the home country

In principle, declarations of commitment/formal obligation should only be made by persons who have income and/or assets in Germany.

From the point of view of the Embassy, the opening of a blocked account is preferable.

The Embassy will not issue a formal obligation in cases, when opening a blocked account is possible.

맨 위로