Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts
According to the Schengen-Agreement, tourist and business visas issued by a mission of a Schengen-member state are valid for the following countries:
Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
The Embassy of the country of your main travel destination is the competent authority to deal with the application. If a main travel destination cannot be ascertained, the application should be submitted to the Embassy of the country of first entry to the Schengen area.
Some nationals do not need a visa for a short term trip: To find out which nationalities (do not) need a visa, please check this link.
You can easily fill in the application form on your computer: VIDEX Please note that the German Embassy only accepts visa applications filled out in German or English language. The complete application form must be printed out with the barcodes and submitted at your appointment.
You can also download the application form for a Schengen visa here.
* See also: Information on Data Protection Regulation
- In order to apply for a visa your passport must have at least two empty pages.
- The passport must have been issued within the last ten years.
- The passport must not expire before the end of the scheduled trip and has to be valid for at least 3 month after your departure.
- You cannot apply for a Schengen visa earlier than 3 months prior to the intended travel date.
- According to the EU visa code, applicants may be required to obtain an appointment for the lodging of an application. The appointment shall, as a rule, take place within a period of two weeks from the date when the appointment was requested.
In justified cases of urgency, the consulate may allow applicants to lodge their applications either without appointment.
Applications shall be decided on within 15 calendar days of the date of the lodging of an application.
Thus, the visa application should be submitted at least 4 weeks before the planned trip!
Applications shall be lodged no more than three months before the start of the intended visit.
The Transit Visa category A is for applicants who will stopover a German international airport (Frankfurt, Munich or Hamburg) and continue their travel to a final destination outside the Schengen area.
A Schengen visa permits free travel within all member states of the Schengen agreement, if not stated otherwise on the visa. Check out the visa requirements for a short term Schengen visa (category C) - Business Trip.
A Schengen visa permits free travel within all member states of the Schengen agreement, if not stated otherwise on the visa. Check out the required documents for a short term Schengen visa (category C) - Tourism.
A Schengen visa permits free travel within all member states of the Schengen agreement, if not stated otherwise on the visa. Check out the required documents for visa requirements for a short term Schengen visa (category C) - Visiting family or friends.