Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts
Entry registration and quarantine regulations
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, restrictions are in place for entry into Germany from a large number of countries. Those entering Germany from risk areas must complete a digital entry registration form, be tested for coronavirus and, depending on the regulations of the Land in question, self-isolate.
New measures to combat COVID-19:
According to a decision taken by the Federal and Länder Governments, from 2 November to at least 31 January, hotels and other accommodation providers may only offer overnight accommodation to people whose travel is essential. It is no longer permitted to provide overnight accommodation for tourism purposes. Visas for tourism purposes will thus only be issued in exceptional cases.
The Länder are responsible for implementing this decision. Whether a specific journey is possible thus depends on the rules of the Land to which you wish to travel. More information for potential travellers can be found here (in German only).
Processing of visa applications
Germany has lifted all Covid-19-related entry restrictions for residents of the Republic of Korea with effect from Friday, January 1st, 2021, 00:00 (CET). Travel by residents of the Republic of Korea to Germany is therefore permitted again for all travel purposes from this date, in compliance with the provisions of the law on residence (possibly visa requirement). The previous place of residence (usually residence or habitual residence) of the third country is decisive for the entry options, not the nationality. The relevant evidence must be submitted at the latest upon entry.
Applications for a visa (C and D visa) to the Embassy Seoul can be submitted by nationals who require a visa, as well as Korean citizens, who want to apply for a visa, as normal without restrictions due to COVID‑19. Please take note of the general information on visa applications.
- It cannot be ruled out that Germany will reintroduce entry restrictions, or tighten existing restrictions, in the event that the COVID-19 pandemic situation deteriorates.
- Whether or not entry to Germany is granted is decided upon by the competent German Federal Police (Bundespolizei). As a general rule, it is only upon your arrival at a German airport/border that the Federal Police decides whether you are granted entry to Germany.
- Therefore, please make sure to carry along documents evidencing the purpose of your travel every time you seek to enter Germany so as to be able to present them at border control.
- The German diplomatic and consular missions abroad cannot take any responsibility in this regard. We therefore urgently recommend visiting the website of the German Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community in any case prior to your intended travel so as to obtain up-to-date information on whether you can expect to be granted entry to Germany upon your Arrival:
- Please check before your flight whether a trip to Germany can take place as planned by you. Due to far-reaching restrictions in public life (contact restrictions, ban on accommodation, closings of restaurants, leisure and service businesses, curfews, etc.), the possibilities in Germany are currently very limited.